Tuesday, June 8, 2010

On Pitchers and Umpires

I do not follow baseball on a regular basis but the story of the Detroit Tiger's Pitcher, Armando Galarraga, is a baseball story that I tuned into, in fact I bet most of America did. The grace with which he accepted the loss of his perfect game due to a bad call by the umpire is a lesson we can all take to heart. He is an athlete that we can admire and hope that we see more of in the arena of sports. It is assured he will be remembered more for this gesture than for a perfect game. And I do not want to leave the umpire out of this, he was a man big enough to say he was sorry, to acknowledge his mistake, another wonderful example for all of us.

It seems to me there used to be more of those kind of athletes around when I was young. People we could look up to and strive to be like. Is it my age or is it this age? Armoando Galarraga's perspective was clear, his grace abounding. How refreshing and how amazed we all have been. We again have someone to look up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment