Thursday, June 3, 2010

Are We There Yet? Or is 60 Just the Beginning?

Are We There Yet? Should I type this in large print for all of us that are 60 and over or will we pull out our readers so we can continue on? Will I worry about the little stomach I'm getting(okay, maybe not quite so little, but, geez, I have had kids, but maybe even if we haven't, should we worry?)? What about the parenthesises around my mouth (okay, there are more lines than that) and the "laugh" lines around my eyes, not to mention the "worry" lines between them (and for very good reason, I raised two boys), should I care?

This year I turned 60 and it was the first birthday I was remotely upset about. Why? Was it because it had a six in it with an zero following it? Or is it that I remember my grandmothers at 60? Lucky that, but I remember they looked old! Do I? Compared to Lady GaGa I do. Maybe it's because my mother was a grandmother three times by 60 and I have yet to see a grandchild, but truly I don't think that's the issue. Maybe it's the fact that the health care bill scares me as I worry that it really won't care about anyone over 60, that we are not worth the money to fix up (the ones making the rules seem to be able to afford to keep themselves healthy, and wrinkle free - see Nancy). Don't think I don't want health care for all, just my taxes keep rising and I don't want to be left in the lurch because I'm over a certain age!

Maybe it's the fact that I miss the values of the past as well as the etiquette and manners that we grew up with that seem to be sorely lacking these days. It seems to date us if we want to cling to some of them. Example, do you have to text when I am taking you out to dinner? And I'm luckily not talking about my sons!

Time seems to fly as we get older. I once read why this was so but sadly I didn't keep this reason, either in my brain (another problem of age) or on paper, but there was a scientific reason for it. If anyone out there knows it, please share. But do you remember when a weekend seemed ages away? Now the week flies by and the weekend is gone in a nano second. It is spring and suddenly it is Thanksgiving.

And as we age we lose those we love, our family, our friends, knowing our turn will be there as well. Sixty is just getting us closer. Though we must savor each day I can't help but wonder if I am there yet. Where I want to be. No, I don't think so, but not sure I will ever be.

Where are you? Are you starting a new life or are you happy with where you are? Are you fulfilled, sad, tired, excited, embarking on something new? Are you rooted in tradition and happy to be there or are you uprooting and starting something new? I think I am mulling over just what I am and where I will be, so, I don't think I am there yet, but working on it. So, where are you? What do you face on a daily basis that makes you wonder if you are there yet at our 60 plus years?

4 comments:

  1. Sixty is looming for me. I won't turn 60 until the end of November this year. I think I am so focused on turning 60 at my next birthday that I am not enjoying the last 6 months of being in my 50s! I admit, it is a scary thought to be turning 60. I certainly don't feel 60, and I like to think that I don't look 60. I actually still feel like I'm much younger....maybe 40. Ha ha. My parents seemed much older at age 60 too! Our oldest daughter is almost 35 and I don't FEEL like I'm much older than that.....but how can I be the same age as my daughter?!
    Actually, I honestly do think that age is a state of mind. You are as young as you feel. Unfortunately, I still need to work and am now working harder than ever before, with more hours and more stress than ever. I don't see retirement anywhere in the near future, or in any future! So I'll just keep working. I started a new job 7 months ago (at age 58) and it is quite a challenge. I love it, which is good since I have to work.
    A big part of my life is reconnecting with friends from my high school class from 42 years ago! We reconnected at our 40th reunion 2 years ago and the get togethers, emails and mini reunions have continued. It has made a big difference in my life.
    I also see the laugh lines and frown lines when I look in the mirror and wonder what will happen as each year goes by. I am constantly thinking about the future and realizing that the end is closer and closer. But I am so happy with my family and my job and am so thankful for my 3 fabulous kids, two of which are married. No grandchildren yet, but looking forward to that some day.
    Becky E,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time, time, time, see whats become of me
    While I looked around
    For my possibilities
    I was so hard to please
    But look around, leaves are brown
    And the sky is a hazy shade of winter

    Barbara,
    Your blog is wonderful. Reminded me of a favorite song.
    Sarah P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reconneting with friends - what a good part of the trip! And was I hard to please, maybe, but not so much anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm there! Mission accomplished.
    I married, raised happy children. Done.

    Now I have a choice. I can either live the
    rest of my life in quiet desperation or keep
    busy being helpful and creative.

    Option two sounds better.



    I'm going with option two.

    ReplyDelete